Blackjack is one of the most popular casino card games. After playing the game just once, many turn into real fans of this gambling entertainment. The main goal of the game is to beat the dealer. Although the game looks simple at first glance, there are many things to keep in mind in order to become a winner.
The player must be skillful and lucky in order to control the game flow in full. This combination has made blackjack an internationally recognized card game. In this section about online blackjack, you will learn about the rules and specifics of the gameplay. Keep reading or visit best online gambling sites for Canadians to learn all the varieties of blackjack and get a pack of winning tips.
In blackjack, you play against the dealer, and your mission is to score as many points as possible without going bankrupt. Each card corresponds to a certain number of points (card value). When it comes to Aces, its value can be 1 or 11 depending on the combination the card is completing. Jacks, Queens, and Kings are worth 10 points each.
The score of each player is determined strictly according to the sum of the card points he has. To win in the game, you have to score as many points as possible without exceeding the limit of 21 points. Otherwise, you lose automatically. The best possible combination is twenty-one points scored with two cards: an Ace and a Jack, Queen, or King. This combo is called Blackjack. If you manage to make it, you get a 50% bonus added to your winnings.
At the beginning of the game, each participant makes a bet strictly according to the current online casino limits. Then the dealer deals two cards to each player at the table. They are placed face down on the table. The dealer also deals two cards to himself. One of them is placed face down, which allows the participants to determine the approximate hand strength of the dealer. If the dealer's face-up card is an Ace, then an automatic check for Blackjack occurs. If the dealer has 21 points, the participants immediately lose.
If the dealer doesn't have the Blackjack combination, the game continues. Each participant has several options for action:
- Take one or several cards;
- Double the bet and get an additional card;
When the actions are made, the dealer starts drawing cards. At the end of the session, the card combinations of each participant are compared with the dealer's combination.
You usually cannot rely on strategy in casino games; however, blackjack is an exception. Unlike many other gambling games, in blackjack, one can hope not only for luck but also use practical skills and experience in order to win. Well-defined tactics combined with an alert mind will help you win over and over again. That is why we want to give you some tips on how to make more money as you play blackjack online.
- Split - When you are dealt 2 of the same cards, you can split, that is, split one hand into two. It is very profitable to split if you have a pair of Aces, 8s, or 7s. This is the best solution if you hit two Aces or two 8s. Together, two Aces make 12 points, but if you split the cards into two hands and draw another card, you have a chance to get to 21;
- Do NOT split - Don't split if you have a pair of 10s or 6s. Two 10s make 20 points. This is one of the player's strongest combinations, so you shouldn't split them into two hands;
- Stop after 18 - If you get to 18 points, stop. After all, if you continue to draw cards, you run the risk of gaining more than 21 points and losing. In some cases, professional players are advised to stop at 17 points;
- Get cards - If you have 11 points or less, be sure to draw cards. If your two cards have 16 in total and the open dealer's card has a score of 10, then it is better for you to draw;
- Follow basic strategies - On the Internet, you can find a lot of basic strategies developed by experienced players and presented in the form of diagrams. Having carefully studied these charts, you will understand how and in what case you should draw cards, split, double, or exit the game. In order to properly use the strategies, you must thoroughly master the game rules;
- Manage bankroll wisely - Before you start playing, set aside a certain amount for this game session, but do not spend more than 5% of the total amount on each bet. At the beginning of the game, you should place the minimum bet allowed.
What Does Split Mean in Blackjack?
If the player's first two cards score the same value (for example, two Aces or a Jack and a King), the player can make an additional bet equal to the original and split his hand into two. This operation is called splitting. Depending on the type of the blackjack online game, you can split the hand two or more times. When splitting two Aces, you can only get one additional card for each newly formed hand.
How to Double Your Bet in Blackjack
After the player receives their first two cards, they can make an additional bet equal to the initial one. After that, they can receive exactly one additional card. This action is called a double bet or simply a double.
What Does Insurance Mean in Blackjack?
If the dealer's first card is an Ace, then the player can make an additional bet (insurance). This is an additional bet equal to half of the initial bet. If the second card provides the dealer with the blackjack combination, the insurance wins. Insurance pays 2:1 depending on your stake amount thus doubling it.
What Is the Difference Between Soft 17 and Hard 17?
A hand with an ace scoring 11 points is called a soft. For example, a hand of 6 and an Ace is called soft 17. A combination with an Ace worth 1 point is called a hard hand. In this case, hard 17 is a hand of ten and seven. The two have different winning potential in the game.